Thursday, February 11, 2010

What I Want To Be When I Grow Up



Yesterday I was hit seriously hard by the Muse. I was getting ready for work in the bathroom, and (you think this is going somewhere funny, don't you?! But I'm deadly serious).

I have ideas for three different photo essays. I'm not going to tell you what they are. But I have to do them.

Don't get me wrong. Just because I have a decent camera, I still don't consider myself a photographer. I mostly just experiment until I get something I like. But I am starting to understand light a little better. And I'm realizing more and more what makes me want to keep clicking the button:

Narrative. I don't JUST want to see the pretty picture that comes out. I want the story behind it. I LOVE hearing people's stories. I want to know how they got from there to here. I want to hear what they are going to do next.

And I'm tired of telling myself I can't because I'm not this enough or that enough or I'm too old or too naive.

Here's the thing: no one has to like them but me. I'm not going to do it to be famous. I'm going to do it because I want to.

I'm inspired, and it feels so good.

4 comments:

karigee said...

Go dog, go! (That is officially the finest encouragement I can offer.) I can't wait to see what comes next!

Robin Amos Kahn said...

You've got the chops. You just have to get going and do the work. You are a photographer. You are a story teller. We all believe in you, Annie!! You go girl! You were a very good actor on stage and TV. (I know, I saw you.) You've been a dynamite mother. You do your job well and you're a terrific photographer and writer. Maybe you can do whatever you want to do?

I, Rodius said...

Can't wait to see it!

suttonhoo said...

second that: can't. wait.