Thursday, June 21, 2018

How To Cheer Yourself In the End Days of The Republic

I have spent the last few days despairing the actions being taken in America's name to immigrant children and their families.  I have heard the cries, seen the faces, and watched the heartless lies being spewed by our heinous administration.  

Also in the news today, the administration wants to lump together the Departments of Education and Labor, destroying them both, and they want to cut billions from Medicare and Medicaid.  There is a White Nationalist Rally being held in DC.  On top of this, the First Lady visited one of the shelters wearing a jacket that said "I don't care, do u?"  

I spent a good hour reading about the demise of Mussolini, Hitler, Eva Braun and Marie Antoinette.  I imagined the fence in front of the White House bedecked with the heads of everyone in this evil administration.  I imagined a Secret Service agent going rogue and taking them all out and having Kiefer Sutherland take over.  I imagined them all with giant herpes sores on their mouths.  I started to go down a really, really dark hole and didn't recognize myself.

A friend on FB posted that she was feeling much the same way, and the only thing that outweighed the negative was the community of love warriors she knows have her back.  It reminded me of 1 Corinthians 13:13,

 "And now these three remain: faith, hope and love.  But the greatest of these is love."

I am trying to have faith.  Not necessarily Christian faith, but faith in humanity, but it's pretty difficult these days.  Hope seems like a distant memory.  But love.... love I can do.  It's a verb. 

I told my son how I was feeling.  "Just look at what's in front of you mom.  Be kind, set a good example. Go out of your way to make it better for others."  

I love this boy with my whole heart.  

The greatest of these is love.

Gonna keep my eyes on that.


No comments: