Friday, December 22, 2006

an early christmas present


The other morning, after a completely awful nights sleep, my son woke up before 7:00 (I'd been up since 2:30 a.m. for no good reason). He climbed into bed with me, daddy had already gone to work. We snuggled on my bed quietly, his head on my stomach, both of us dozy and cozy and warm. "Mom!" he whispered, with absolute awe in his voice. "Look at the sunrise! It's soooo beautiful. It's a perfect Christmas Present of a sunrise!" It was, too. Orange and pink and blue, and utterly breathtaking.
I was exhausted for the rest of the day, but my spirits were buoyed by this thought: "How lucky I am to have a six year old who knows the worth of a pretty sky."
In these days leading to Christmas, I wish you all open eyes and everyday miracles.

No comments: