Wednesday, January 17, 2007

the facts of life

"You take the good you take the bad
you take them both and then you have
The facts of life, the facts of life..."

"Facts" is one of those words that you say it often enough and it starts to sound wrong, which is kind of ironic, isn't it? I mean, they're facts after all. Spelling it is even stranger. You see it on the page - facts - and it just looks odd. I mention this because I woke up with this song going through my head this morning. (And I'm truly sorry if I planted it in your heads. Quick, turn on your iPods!) I also mention it because these kind of thoughts seem to be popping into my head a lot lately, distracting me from tasks, from thinking 'actual' thoughts.

My head feels so muddy these days. I've heard it's really common for women "of a certain age" to go through this phenomenon. I just didn't think it would happen to me. I have always thought of myself as someone who is bright and quick-witted, but these days I feel like my brain is betraying me. I'm not alarmed about it, worrying about early onset alzheimers or a brain tumor, but it is humbling, to say the least.

My in-laws were kind enough to get us airline tickets on their frequent flyer miles to come for a visit. I was sure I had cleared my husband's schedule, and had dotted all the i's and crossed the t's with him, but last night, while he was talking to his mom, who had gone ahead and booked the tickets on my okay, I heard him say "but I work on Thursday". It's a mess, and considering the other things I've been forgetting lately, I know it has my husband perplexed, frustrated and maybe even worried. But the thing is, as much as I hate making mistakes, as small and furry as it makes me feel, I know it's just part of this time of my life. I'm going to do my best to combat it, take up crossword puzzles, up my B vitamin intake, get more exercise, and get out in the world more.

I have a great helper too. My son, last night, sensing my feelings, took me by the hand and sat me on the stairs. "I know you feel bad mommy. Just go tell Daddy you feel small and furry, and that you're sorry you made a mistake. Mistakes happen to everyone." I am so lucky to have such a caring, loving boy.

And that's a fact.

2 comments:

suttonhoo said...

I was going to comment that you are the luckiest mommy in the whole wide world -- but then I realized that your little guy got his heart from you and all your good mothering, so I'm upgrading that to "best".

anniemcq said...

You are such a great friend. Thank you for your lovely comment and for being so supportive. I am very lucky indeed.