Friday, April 4, 2008

California Dreamin'



So, we're back from our trip to Grandma and Grandpa's house, in paradise. It went too fast, it was too relaxing and too much fun, as always. And now it's back to the rainy Northwest. But you know what - it's good to be home. I missed my darlin' husband, and didn't enjoy being in traffic again, even with my mother-in-law's Lexus. (Bless her soul - she let me borrow it to drive the hour and half to LA to see friends.) Here is a little pictorial of our trip.



I had a blast with my camera, and it got even better when I got some fab tips from my friend Erin, herself a brilliant professional photographer. She gave me a few pointers, and in no uncertain terms, turned on my creative lightbulb. Not only is she a fabulous photographer, but also one of the best moms I know. A fount of patience and good humor, her boys are as sweet and adorable as she is lovely.


We also had a wonderful visit with my dear pal Jana. She is my soul sister, and her daughter Grace was born shortly after Joe-Henry. We were the Belly Sisters, with our friend Linnea, whose daughter Molly was born the day before Grace.


Jana is one of those moms who helped get me through the early days of parenthood, when things are so hairy and new that you feel as though you are losing your mind every twenty minutes. She's one of the few people in the world that I feel truly myself around. Her kids are so sweet and funny, and Joe-Henry is going to wind up marrying one of them, I'm pretty sure.



Grace is his girl, as well as his best friend in the world, and Ben is his loyal sidekick. Watching them all play makes me so happy that I love their parents.

We also got to meet (and I got to fall in love with) the grandparents new dog, Oscar. Oscar joined the family after their beloved basset hound Huey died this past winter.


Oscar joins their other dog Pepper, both dogs being so smart they could do your taxes. We took them on walks along the bluffs of Carpinteria, soaking up the sunshine and the beautiful scenery.

Joe-Henry was Grandpa's shadow this trip, following him everywhere, helping out here and there, and Grandpa was kind enough to take the boy out for a few errands while Grandma and I got to shop, like the old days. Grandma got Joe-Henry outfitted for the toy golf set that Grandpa picked up in anticipation of our visit.



Sadly, we couldn't stay in paradise forever. There was daddy to come home to, and kitties, and work and school to get back to. Luckily, we'll see them again in June, when school's out, and again in August for my mil's birthday. But even with that knowledge, saying goodbye doesn't get any easier.



Thanks, all, for a wonderful visit. Enjoy the sunshine for us.

7 comments:

karigee said...

Oh, so lovely! Always good to go home for a while.

Anonymous said...

What a great trip! Aren't friends like that the best?

Lolabola* said...

I love these shots of J-H and friends. How great to have long lasting friendship like that. Also, the golf shot has awesome colours.

suttonhoo said...

yay poppies! yay friends! yay road trips and coming home again!

such sweetness.

I, Rodius said...

So is J-H a whiz at golf now? I could just never get the hang of that game.

Welcome back to Blogblogland!

anniemcq said...

Hi All! Missed you while we were gone! Rodius, I don't think golf is going to be his game. He's as likely to beat the ball to death as he is to hit it any length.

mrsf5 said...

So glad y'all had a wonderful, relaxing, sunny spring break!

The pictures are, of course, gorgeous; I particularly loved that luminous shot of the poppies. Last month, I wouldn't have recognized them as poppies, but NOW, now that I have been to California, well: now, I know poppies.

So wish we could have crossed paths somehow...