Saturday, November 10, 2007

Happy Veteran's Day


jh&flag
Originally uploaded by anniemcq
I have Monday off - a paid holiday for me. I'm not a Veteran, but my brother is. He is not off on Monday. So. Not. Fair.

Still and all, we had a perfect Autumn afternoon for our small town Veteran's Day Parade. As liberal as I am, I get a huge lump in my throat watching the flag go by, carried by, well, pretty much everyone.

When my dad was in the nursing home, with his memories fading, I remember the story my brother told of a visit with him on Veteran's Day. They wheeled all the residents out to the flag pole, and as they raised the flag, my dad removed his cap, and sat up straighter than he had in months, and saluted until they finished playing "Reveille" on an old cassette tape. As much as I miss him, I'm glad he's not around to see how our flag is used today. He'd have some choice words for our leader, I'm pretty sure.

I disagree with so much about what we are doing to our country today. But I will always, always be grateful to those who are serving our country. So, to all you Veteran's out there - Thank you.

If you want to see a few more photos of our day at the parade, check it out here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"As liberal as I am, I get a huge lump in my throat watching the flag go by, carried by, well, pretty much everyone."

I loved this. I feel the same way when I watch the Olympics and an American athlete wins and I see that American flag go up and the Star Spangled Banner plays and the athlete is singing along getting all misty - makes me want to throw on an Uncle Sam hat and sing "I'm Proud To Be An American" (where at least I know I'm free)

Texas doesn't celebrate Veterans Day - work and school like usual. Interesting, don't you think?

suttonhoo said...

sweetness.

was in a church service where we took a moment of silence and then named aloud our veterans into the still of the room.

it was hard not to cry as I mouthed my grandfathers' and my uncles' names. and it was something else to hear the names of those ancestors fill the room.