Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Hey, I are too smart

Today at work we were trying to hook up a universal remote, and I had put the batteries in and couldn't get it do anything! What a piece of crap, I thought to myself, until my co-worker, after I had walked away, took the batteries out and put them in again, this time CORRECTLY, and got it running no problem.

Sigh.... Not one of my shining moments. See this is why I worry about my son and his science experiments, nay, his very FUTURE, with me as his mother. I am aging, people, I have old fogey eyes, and I get easily distracted by shiny objects. And chocolate. How is he supposed to grow into a genius if I am misplacing all his science tools?

This past weekend we went to the River City Bluegrass Festival (where I got to meet Tim O'Brien, one of the most amazing musicians EVER - but that's a post for another day) in Portland, and it was held at the Convention Center. I took a picture of this big shiny ball, swinging menacingly above our heads, over a map of the planets on the tile floor below.




It was pretty and shiny, and somehow I knew it was Foucault's Pendulum, but don't ask me HOW I knew. I just did. Don't ask me who Foucault is, or why he designed a pendulum, or what it's supposed to measure (the earth's rotation comes to mind), go see for yourself at the Oracle of Wiki. I just took the picture because I thought Suttonhoo would enjoy it. Because she's all smart and stuff. She's probably built one. Or at least knows someone who has.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would not worry about your prowess as a parent raising a brilliant child.

Seriously.

I will, however, admit that I am supremely grateful that Bailey seems more interested in the existential "big questions" than the logistics of science or math or anything like that...because I'm truly useless in that capacity. I mean, even in 2nd grade, I supervise the reading and spelling homework, and Rich does the math. Well, math and projects. Bailey knows better than to ask me a math question...even a 2nd grade math question.

But you? You can handle it.

Donna said...

I'm sorry, the only word I caught was chocolate.... ;0p

I know enough science to be dangerous, not enough math to be of any help beyond grade school. I have learned a great deal about farm animals this year while being a para for a kid in Animal Science (yes, I could probably figure out if a cow was pregnant IF I ABSOLUTELY HAD TO). But ask me to do algebra or geometry and I will keel over like one of those fainting goats. The kids in the learning center understand that asking for such assistance will earn them only the blankest of stares and a referral to one of the other paras that actually has the part of the brain that retains x's, y's and theorems.

It takes a village, baby, and sometimes I feel like the idiot...

suttonhoo said...

honestly, I don't know how I got this reputation...

would somebody please pass the chocolate?

suttonhoo said...

p.s. and YES -- I love the pix. :) and even just *saying* the name Foucault...

suttonhoo said...

oh -- wait -- it should probably be said that I have not built a foucault's pendulum -- nor do I intend to.

thank you. and good night.

anniemcq said...

Tracey - thanks for the kind words. Yeah, JH loves math and science, which aren't the areas in which I excel, but I'm willing to give it a shot. I've promised to stop if I bring down his gpa.

Donna - you made me spit my snack. Too funny!

And D., you come by your reputation honestly, dear friend. You are one of the smartest people I've ever met. And you're right... it is really fun to say Foucault.