Saturday, January 5, 2008

shine





Yesterday, there was a brief respite from the unrelenting grey around here. And when I say grey, I don't mean the pretty dove grey that lends itself to beautiful lighting, I mean the kind of grey that sucks the light out of the sky and swallows it, leaving you walking, not in the dark, but in the dull.

I had gone to get my hair cut, driven like a zombie to the sweet little "barbershop" in town and chatted away with my stylist, and when I came out, I was blinking from the brightness. I had planned a walk afterward anyway, so I raced home and grabbed my camera. I always take pictures of the same things, because I always tend to walk in the same place, because it's so beautiful there, and it's also flat. I'm not a fan of hills. So I made my way, again, to Officer's Row, then over the bridge into town to my favorite decrepit building, lingering on the freeway overpass to look at all. that. sunshine.





The sun toyed with me for an hour, made me believe that she would stay, but then the dark black storm clouds rolled in, the wind began to howl, and even now, though there is sun coming through our tiny octagonal window by our front door casting a shadow of my own head on my computer, as I type this, it's fading. There will be more rain today. And tomorrow, and the day after that, and the day after that.



But someday, it will be spring again. I've seen the light.

1 comment:

suttonhoo said...

so lovely.

reminds me a little of when seattle-resident enyasi came to chicago for a visit and screamed as we were pulling out of the driveway. startled I said: What? She said: The sun! is it like this everyday?!

yeah. it's easy to forget the unrelenting rain.

hang in there, sweetie.