Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Kitchen Shrine


Kitchen Shrine
Originally uploaded by anniemcq
I need every little bit of inspiration to do dishes and return, again and again to the kitchen: fix breakfast, fix snacks, feed cats, do dishes, fix snacks, get lunch, etc....
A while back I found this picture of my mom giving me a bath in the sink. It was just what the kitchen Goddess ordered. It makes me feel connected to my mom, though she passed nearly forty years ago, and it makes me feel connected to my son, knowing as I do that we both have sink baths in common.
The kitty was a gift from my sister-in-law. And the little vase with the heart that says True Love? A Valentine's gift from my husband. You bet it's true love - I'm doing the dishes!
That mundane task is a little easier, a little more soulful now.

7 comments:

*Lissa* said...

That is such a great idea! ;o) I should do that all around the house, then maybe I would clean it more often!!

Amber said...

That is such an awesome idea!And the pic is sooo cute!!:)

Musings from Me said...

That is a great idea. I have a picture above my sink...I can't think what it is of. I need to replace it with something else. You are right doing dishes is the pits. I'm not much of a cook, but managed to prepare 3 meals a day, but seriously the dishes are the bane of my existence. I sometimes have my children help or do it by themselves...but really the mess they make I might as well do it myself.

Lolabola* said...

In my Mr. Toast addiction, I just found this and thought of you.

I love doing dishes but I can't seem to remember to walk into my kitchen very often, and now I have this sink bath story to inspire.

Lady Di said...

Maybe we could do a collection of these - my mom certainly has a kitchen altar at her sink window, and mine has my boy slurping p'sketti at 18 months or so, an incense burner, and used to have Ganesha -- but he moved to the stemware-china cabinet-bar altar, which also features a primitive wooden St. Joseph, a peace pole, a temple bell, and a lovely smelling beeswax candle kneeling angel. (Loved Joe Henry's heaven conception, btw.)

anne said...

Okay, I have to chime in here - I don't mind doing dishes, but I hate UNloading the dishwasher! Loading is like completing a puzzle for me: how many things can I get in so that I don't have to hand-wash what is left over?

My over-the-sink kitchen window sill has a small open-mouthed painted clay fish named Juan the Cod, a gift from friends who went to Mexico without us when we found out we were pregnant 11 years ago; a real crystal / rock formation, given in payment to my husband for helping to staff a booth at a rock show in a local mall; a tiny picture of my husband and me, when we were first dating in the spring of 1990, with pink crabapple trees in full bloom behind us; and a Mexican salt and pepper shaker set, in the shape of two brightly painted cats. My children have named the blue salt shaker cat Sal (saltillo is Spanish for salt) and the red pepper shaker cat goes by Pimi (pimiento = pepper in Spanish)

Anonymous said...

I should take a picture of what's on the ledge above my sink - a little shadow box with Our Lady of Guadalupe, and a Matchbox silver van.

Not even kidding.