Sunday, August 24, 2008

A Little Bird Told Me:



Hummingbirds have always been my talisman. They always remind me of my dad - he loved to watch them, their busy little bodies, their delicate wings, their sense of humor. When my dad died, we had just moved to Los Angeles from Seattle days before, and I was questioning the rightness of our move. I felt lonely and removed and so, so sad. I was hiking in Runyon Canyon near our apartment in Hollywood, and one hummingbird came swooping down to my eye level, hovering there for about a minute, staying with me as I hiked. Soon it flew off, then returned with a friend, and they kept me amused all the way up the hill. I was so comforted by their presence, and took it as my dad's spirit telling me all would be well.

For the past few days we've been visiting family in California, but we've been waiting on pins and needles for news from our dear friends in Seattle. As I was sitting in their front yard, not one, not two but THREE hummingbirds spent an entire afternoon entertaining me. I knew in my heart that the news would be good. If you'd like to read something really uplifting, that will make you smile and cheer your heart, this is about the best news ever.

6 comments:

Claire Thompson said...

I love good news, I hope lots more hummingbirds come your and your friends way.

karigee said...

What happy news! I'm so glad for your friends -- and you.

Kirsten said...

Here's to many more hummingbird sitings and your friend's continued improvement.

Lisa L said...

Hi Annie! thank you for the update and the link. I am so glad your friend had great results! What a wonderful bit of news. Lisa

Anonymous said...

Beaming.

suttonhoo said...

thanks for spreading the good news, friend.

I'm a big wet spongy mess of tears.

all good.