Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Curse You, Daylight Savings Time!

This is said with a clenched fist, shaking at the sky. And while I am growing quite an impressive mustache, I can't twirl it in a dastardly manner just yet. But you get the picture.

That one hour has us so discombobulated. We missed Joe-Henry's piano lesson, because, get this - he took a NAP yesterday. This is a kid who hasn't taken a nap since he discovered there were no more bars on his bed. And what's more, I, mommy, the human alarm clock fell asleep as well, because he was up til all hours the night before, tossing and turning, because I don't know if I've mentioned this before, EVERYONE IN MY HOUSE SNORES. Except me, of course, because I'm dainty. My husband, of course, Joe-Henry, and our cat Lulu, a.k.a. Darth Vader. They all saw logs.

So, anyway, last night, because he took a NAP, he couldn't go to sleep. I thought he'd finally drifted off at 9:30, and I snuck out to watch the last half hour of "24", followed by the first half hour on tivo, when he called me. "Mom. I'm waiting for you!" He'd been awake the whole time! So I turned out all the lights, resigned myself to the fact that I was indeed, in a bed of my own making, because I can't resist his pleas to snuggle, and lay down with him. Then, just as I was heading into this fabulous wet dream about a clean house, he had to go to the bathroom. So I get up with him, because he's scared of the dark, and as I stand there in the bathroom with him, I develop a horribly loud case of the hiccups. This sends him into paroxysms of laughter (and I confess: I was having a giggle fit myself, but mine was far more maniacal), then finally, FINALLY, we begin to settle down and head to slumberland. Until his dad, down the hall, the man I love, my soul mate with AWESOME legs, begins to snore. It sounds like an angry bear with a chainsaw. Attacking a gaggle of geese. I get up to shut the door, and finally, finally, we drift off. The last time I looked at the clock, it was 11:00 p.m.

He was tired this morning, and I know he'll be impossible this afternoon, but I tell you what. There is NO WAY he is taking a nap.

No comments: