Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Go Man, Go

"In the end, the Clintons' usual tactics — big-scale fundraising, high-powered political connections, old-fashioned grit and determination — were no match for Obama and a candidacy uniquely suited to the moment." Beth Fouhey, AP

That about sums it up.

I honestly loved her speech last night. I thought it was classy.

But Barack, when he said this:

"All of you chose to support a candidate you believe in deeply. But at the end of the day, we aren’t the reason you came out and waited in lines that stretched block after block to make your voice heard. You didn’t do that because of me or Senator Clinton or anyone else. You did it because you know in your hearts that at this moment – a moment that will define a generation – we cannot afford to keep doing what we’ve been doing. We owe our children a better future. We owe our country a better future. And for all those who dream of that future tonight, I say – let us begin the work together. Let us unite in common effort to chart a new course for America."

And this:

"The other side will come here in September and offer a very different set of policies and positions, and that is a debate I look forward to. It is a debate the American people deserve. But what you don’t deserve is another election that’s governed by fear, and innuendo, and division. What you won’t hear from this campaign or this party is the kind of politics that uses religion as a wedge, and patriotism as a bludgeon – that sees our opponents not as competitors to challenge, but enemies to demonize. Because we may call ourselves Democrats and Republicans, but we are Americans first. We are always Americans first. "

And this:

"The journey will be difficult. The road will be long. I face this challenge with profound humility, and knowledge of my own limitations. But I also face it with limitless faith in the capacity of the American people. Because if we are willing to work for it, and fight for it, and believe in it, then I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on Earth. This was the moment – this was the time – when we came together to remake this great nation so that it may always reflect our very best selves, and our highest ideals."

Well, it made me stand up and cheer. First it made me cry a little bit, the kind of crying you do when you get too excited and don't know that you're crying, and people look at you like you might be a bit crazy. And it feels so good to feel that way that you just don't care.

Here we go.

6 comments:

karigee said...

My favorite kind of crying, the best kind of hope. Woo hoo!

Kirsten said...

My sentinments on his speech exactly. YEAH!!!

mrsf5 said...

YES at the lunatic crying. We'd actually put Carter to bed before turning on the television, but after we realized what we were watching, we called him out to watch the speech with us.

He did, eagerly. And for once, I was so grateful he snuggled up with Trey instead of me, because my chest was just heaving with big gulped sobs of happiness and hope.

It is such a heady, thrilling experience, watching this all play out. It is also, admittedly, a nerve-wracking time. But as much as I want to fast-forward past the hand-wringing and nail-biting, I also want to savor the amazing potential of it all. Sigh.

So, what were the results of your Twitter poll? What's your .02?

anniemcq said...

So Franklin, the only people that responded to my twitter poll were you and Rodius. You are in favor of HRC, he is saying anyone but HRC. He's leaning toward Morgan Spurlock, but only for 30 days. What a weisenheimer!

Anonymous said...

I'm late to the table, but I'm in favor of HRC, also.

Honestly, I had a moment of elation. Followed closely on its heels by nervous nail biting. I'm too scared of the millions of idiots in this country. I'll celebrate in November. Until then...just nervous.

I, Rodius said...

Please please please not Hillary. Please. Or I will cry. And not in an excited way. But maybe a crazy way. Please.