Sunday, July 29, 2007

More Things You Shouldn't Say...

To a perimenopausal woman with pms who has run out of Lexapro:

"Well Ma'am, you really should order them before you run out. I don't think we'll be able to get your prescription taken care of until after the weekend."

"I know the recording SAID they'd be ready after six p.m. last night, but it still takes 24-48 hours to process the prescription."

"Like I said, you really SHOULD order them before you run out."



Oh, and these gems should be avoided as well:

"We're out of coffee"

"You made it last. How did you NOT KNOW we were out of coffee? "

"Why are you crying?"



And depending on how you say them, these are no good either:

"Hi!", "Hello!", "How's the job search going?", "Can I have a drink of water?"

Just f.y.i.

This public service message has been brought to you by the crazy ass bitch who lives in my body until Monday.

You're welcome.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! At least you are only taking it out on your family. Poor I, Rodius got caught in my PMS wrath path last week.

suttonhoo said...

I love you, my friend.

(Now I'm gonna duck and cover 'til Monday.)

theflyingmum said...

Hey! Hey! I was asked (also TWICE) if I am my son's grandma too! One was a very young bagger at the grocery store (high school maybe...) and the other was a woman who looked more like a grandma than I do. (I was 41 or 42 at the time, my son 3 or 4...)
In their defense, the (small) town that I love in has a new mom average age of 18-20, so I do kind of stick out.
Both of those women who asked were completely mortified and flustered when I said that no, I'm his MOM. I have since changed from little wire framed glasses to something funkier, and have not been asked again - maybe word got out - it IS a small town.
PS, linked over here from Catherine Newman's blog.

theflyingmum said...

um, that's the small town that I live in, though I do love it here...

anniemcq said...

Thanks, Flying Mum! The first time I was asked was also by a woman my age. I had a cool grey streak in my hair in the front, and I don't know if she was being snarky or what.

I live in a small town too, and while I caught the spelling, I thought, "well, that's probably appropriate!". You're right about the age of the mom's here.

Older parenting has it's challenges, but I wouldn't change a thing.

Thanks so much for your comment! I can't wait to head over to your blog, now!

Donna said...

Yeah, not enthralled with the whole perimenopause thing here either. Apparently my hormones heard me making my first mammogram appointment and decided to join the party. First Aunt Flo came a whole week early after 4 years of non-b.c regularity. The next time Miss Tricksy decides to wait an extra 9 days past the average (including an extra 4 days of lovely PMS headaches, cramping, bloating, and sweet/salty bingeing) causing me to run to the grocery store on day 8 for a PG test JUST TO MAKE SURE. (I had my tubes tied after DS#2, so there WILL be a lawsuit if that plus sign appears!) Never been so happy to see AF in my life, except for that one time....